EFFECTS OF PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT ON ADOLESCENTS
You probably noted from the Learning Resources this week the interrelationship between the processes and constructs of development, in relation to adolescent development. Cognitive changes, including hypothetico-deductive reasoning, metacognitive skills, and more complex forms of thinking impact how an adolescent perceives and reacts to the world. Higher-order thinking contributes to how romantic and peer relationships are established and maintained.Think back to your experiences as an adolescent and the feelings and thoughts you had regarding your developing body. How did your burgeoning cognitive abilities impact your adjustment to the effects of puberty? Did the imaginary audience and personal fable have any impact on your behavior and beliefs? Keep these questions in mind as you examine the effects of physical development on adolescents in this Assignment.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity. Click the weekly resources link to access the resources. WEEKLY RESOURCES
- Berk, L. E. (2023). Development through the lifespan (7th ed.). Sage.
- Chapter 11, “Physical and Cognitive Development in Adolescence” (pp. 366-403)
- Chapter 12, “Emotional and Social Development in Adolescence” (pp. 406-432)
- Baams, L., Dubas, J. S., Overbeek, G., & Van Aken, M. G. (2015). Transitions in body and behavior: A meta-analytic study on the relationship between pubertal development and adolescent sexual behavior Links to an external site.. Journal of Adolescent Health, 56(6), 586–598. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.11.019
- Dimler, L. l., & Natsuaki, M. N. (2015). The effects of pubertal timing on externalizing behaviors in adolescence and early adulthood: A meta-analytic review Links to an external site.. Journal of Adolescence, 45, 160–170. doi:10.1016/j.adolescence.2015.07.021
- Piña-Watson, B., López, B., Ojeda, L., & Rodriguez, K. M. (2015). Cultural and cognitive predictors of academic motivation among Mexican American adolescents: Caution against discounting the impact of cultural processes Links to an external site.. Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development, 43(2), 109–121. doi:10.1002/j.2161-1912.2015.00068.x
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources related to adolescent physical changes and cultural influences.
For this Assignment:In a 2- to 3-page paper:
- Create a scenario of an adolescent of either gender in which you describe the person, the physical changes he or she experiences, and the effect of those changes on his/her sexuality and relationships.
- Describe the culture of the individual in the scenario.
- Explain the influences of culture on the development of adolescence.
Be specific and use your Learning Resources to support your paper. Use proper APA format, citations, and referencing.