I don’t know how to handle this Philosophy question and need guidance.
In this module/week, we have been discussing arguments for the existence of God, as well as the chief argument against God – the “problem of evil.” (It is assumed you have read ch. 13 in Dew & Gould before beginning this assignment.) In this essay, you will consider three additional articles related to the problem of evil in theism:
- “The Absurdity of Life without God,” by Craig
- “Suffering: Richard Dawkins Contra Jesus,” by Thomas
- “The Plight of the New Atheism: A Critique” (only pages 822–823), by Habermas
Your assignment is to read these three items and then write an essay of at least 600 words (in current MLA, APA, or Turabian format). While you are free to quote from sources, and you must cite at minimum the 3 above readings, quotations will not count towards the minimum word count. Your essay must address each of the questions below:
- Compare and contrast the three readings: what are some philosophical similarities and differences?
- Can life have objective meaning without God? Defend your answer making reference (pro or con) to the reading(s).
- Could life be “good” without objective meaning? Defend your answer making reference (pro or con) to the reading(s).
- What effect do your conclusions regarding the problem of evil have, in your view, on the philosophical case for God’s existence? Explain how and why.