Week 3 Assignment – Managing a Health Care Crisis
This assignment asks you to review a real-world scenario to assess your ability to outline the appropriate actions of someone in managerial epidemiology.
The situation at the regional Good Health Hospital has become overwhelming since the outbreak of COVID-19. It appears that there are 15 cases of the disease with more cases each day.
To better understand the situation, the hospital has been in constant communication with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
After a meeting yesterday with the chief administrator, Joe Wellborn, it has been decided that a more detailed process must be created to manage the situation.
Research has indicated that hospitals operating in the Tampa Bay area are also filling to capacity with COVID-19 patients. This substantiates the need for further communication and collaboration with the county and state health departments.
As a health care manager, it is your job to both manage the situation and make a detailed record of the circumstances and your process in a report from an epidemiological management perspective.
For this assignment, create a PowerPoint presentation with 6–7 slides for the hospital administration outlining the steps to be taken to manage the situation. Please include the following:
- Summarize the roles and responsibilities of those involved in the response to the situation summarized above.
- Include the key elements when addressing the situation in a hospital.
- Summarize two specific actions an epidemiological manager would take to prevent future occurrences.
- Outline who should be notified and what information needs to be sent in each notification. This may include local and state health agencies as well as the CDC.
- Each slide should contain speaker notes. Be sure to use your own words and cite where necessary.
From Managerial Epidemiology:
- Chapters 1, 3, 4, and 12.2.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment:
- Analyze the importance of managerial epidemiology roles and responsibilities in infection prevention and control in health care organizations.